Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Media Frenzy

It is time to put together a media kit, actually it was time about a week ago, but I've been dragging my heels. I'm not exactly sure why I find this particular project so daunting, but every time I set myself to this task, I end up watching Top Model or playing mah jong instead.

In all honesty, I thought this heel dragging business would be over once I found an acceptable photo of myself, but apparently that is not the problem.

A media kit is the same as a press kit, from what I've read because this is yet another thing that I've never done before.  I don't think it has to be terribly fancy, just a couple of pages describing the book and author with a photo, picture of the cover and some technical bits like how long the book is, where to buy it, etc.

It is not like I don't have all the information, so what is my problem?

Okay bear with me please because this may get convoluted.  My problem is that somewhere deep inside myself, one of those negative voices keeps shouting that my stupid little media kit will look homemade, like a little kid's art project or something, and that one little voice keeps stopping me cold.

I have no issues writing and self publishing my homemade book, no issues posting homemade blogs up in here every day, heck I even proudly boasted about my homemade bulletin board.  But a homemade media kit???  Apparently that is my inner line in the sand.

I get the same way whenever I get a jury summons, which seems to happen every 6 months or so because those leeches down at the Yolo County courthouse seem to think I'm their personal judicial bitch.  One would think they would tire of my relentlessly asking them where my due process went as I sit in the overcrowded and freezing jury room watching them profligately WASTE MY TIME.  Obviously, I have serious issues with the hypocrisy of jury duty.

Yolo County has the power to put me in jail if I don't answer the summons though, my mythical media kit has no such powers of persuasion.  But I can't dally anymore, someone will be kindly featuring me and my book on their blog very soon and that kind person needs me to do my part.  I need me to do my part.

Is there such a thing as a personal assistant fairy?  I need one of those.

No comments:

Post a Comment